https://jetaausa.com/jetaa-resources/current-efforts-on-the-earthquake-in-japan/I’m sure that everyone heard about the earthquake in Japan. For those of you that aren’t familiar with the Richter scale, the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco was a 6.9 earthquake; today’s earthquake in Japan was 8.9. Thankfully, Japan’s strict building codes have helped mitigate significant damage.
We have been in contact with CLAIR New York and various Consulate offices. They are trying to coordinate their efforts, but as you can image, lines of communication are down all over Japan.
What you can do:
- JET Program coordinators are trying to make sure that all current JETs are safe and accounted for. If you know of a JET that is OK, please have them contact JET Program coordinator at the Embassy or Consulate via phone or email where they left from.
- If you have a friend that is not currently on the JET Program, have them contact their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate to let them know that they are OK.
- Live streaming of coverage in Japan
- Google Person Finder
- Twitter: #tsunami; #Japan; #NHK
- Social media – I’ve found out that the majority of my friends in Tokyo were OK from Facebook or Twitter feeds
I will try to update this blog as often as I can. For more real time updates, please follow JETAA USA’s Twitter account.